Monday, January 14, 2008

makeover monday

Here's a recipe I've had for awhile that I got from my sis. It's very good. And I don't even like meatballs. But these I can pig out on.
I have made some changes to the recipe to cut the sugar content and make them healthier.
Here's the original recipe and I've put my changes in parenthesis.

Julie’s Meatballs

3 lbs ground beef (I use bison. It's leaner and always hormone/antibiotic free. But use the best hamburger you can buy)
12 oz evaporated milk (you can use skim, do they make skim evaporated milk?)
2 cups oats ( good for you! fiber.)
2 eggs ( I have no problem with eggs, but if you do, just use whites)
½ cup chopped onion
½ tsp. Garlic powder
2 tsp. Salt
½ tsp pepper
2 tsp chili powder (onions and spices, good for you!)

Sauce
2 c Catsup (here, I just switched to regular tomato sauce and they still turn out very sweet.)
1 c brown sugar (Use Succanat, it tastes like brown sugar, but isn't processed)
½ tsp liquid smoke ( I have no idea what this is. A bunch of chemicals, I guess. But it wouldn't taste right without it)
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ c chopped onion (more garlic and onion! Kill those germs in your system!)

Make walnut sized balls, mix sauce and pour over balls. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Makes approx 80 balls.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I love meatballs and this recipe sounds great! I often use oatbran when making meatballs, but haven't made them in a while.

Anonymous said...

Even mom likes these meatballs, and thats saying something!

Melanie said...

sounds yummy~ we may have to make these!